BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Why does everything always come down to race and politics?

So I was looking up NASA's new administrator appointed by Obama. His name is Charles Bolden. Bolden happened to be a Major General (or is it General Major?) in the army, and has been in space (I think he commanded one of them too).

He isn't the first black guy in space, but he is the first black guy to head NASA.

I was looking at different comment sections to see what people had to say. And it was revealing about American people as a whole.

The first place I looked at was NASA Watch. In that comment section an overwhelming 75% liked the choice, and many said they were glad he was chosen and is qualified. They even had bouts of dissing the previous administrators.

But in the Newsivine website, many republicans and racists went on diatribes insulting blacks, saying he isn't qualified, saying Obama is racist for choosing a person of color.

My question is, how is it racist that Obama doesn't choose white? He happened to choose a white woman, Lori Garver as the Deputy Administrator.

I mean, what is wrong with people to think that if its not white then it just ain't right? Why do people assume that just because a black person is chosen they automatically are not qualified? I have heard white people use the "choose a qualified person" argument so much that I almost discount it because the likelihood that person did not do their research on the person to know if they are qualified or not is high.

In fact, one could argue that Bolden is wayy more qualifed than many of the past administrators, for one reason only, and that reason is because he has been in space. In fact, that was why many were exicted over at NASA Watch. I mean how much more can one be qualified by not only being a general but actually having been in space multiple times? You could tell that more people at NASA Watch had a better understanding of NASA and qualifications, and well anything related to NASA.

But the Newsvine article revealed just how screwed up America is. Racists made it about race and politics. Some people are intent on hating absolutely every little thing Obama does. They expect him to be beyond human while expecting in to fail so horribly (gee I wonder why...). It also shows just how retarded some people can be, especially over things you can obviously tell they had no knowledge about in the first place.

Some people brought in Bush, one person mentioned that even Bush years earlier was considering him but because he was busy with the army/pentagon, he was unavaiable. But essentially it turned into arguments of racism and politics.

One comment struck me as ironic. One guy decided to use it as a slam against military men running anything. He argued that they shouldn't run NASA. Thats ironic if you know NASA history because the military and NASA are VERY intertwined with each other.

Only a few hours ago I purchased myself the 6 hour documentary When We Left Earth, something I had seen during July when it was the 40th anniversary of the moon landing. The Space Race and NASA (and flight in general) is the part of history I am interested in.

But anyways, the connection to this post and the title is, why does everything always got to come down to politics and race? I mean, its one thing if that was the topic from the outset or if the blog has that kind of a theme. But in other ordinary circumstances, why do people always find a way to bring it in?

I hate politics so much that I avoid talking about it. I honestly do not care about other peoples views, I have no intention of changing mine (although mine do change based on mood every now and then). We live in a day and age where people of different political affilations can only be friends when they avoid talking about politics.

Politics has practically become synonymous with racism just based on how many (especially conservatives) have been acting lately.

But the most irritating part of the whole political/race hate debating going on at Newsvine was that people on both sides kept insulting each other, neither side listens, and people enter other peoples "conversations". It reminds me so much of why I do not like to debate online. Only the ignorant and hateful have nothing better to do than bait 'n hate.

0 comments: