BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Tuesday, December 1, 2009

"How I will be treated" is always going to bring subjective answers

Often blacks (and maybe other minorities and sometimes even white people) will ask questions asking "how will I be treated" when it comes to moving or visiting another place.

Blacks have a rightful reason to worry, if you personally have dealt with racism, naturally you do not want to go straight into another town, an unknown place to you, where racism may be even more rampant. Its how I feel about the south. I have never been further than Kentucky, I have been treated okay there in the few times I have visited in the past (even though I never really went anywhere other than my uncle's house, cousin's house, and my uncle's church (he is the pastor)).

But I just don't feel safe in the real south...I am already hesitant about my own Midwest state, I am really hesitant about the south with its vicious history. I remember when someone online at a Q&A site asked if it was safe to go there, alot of minorities said "just stay in the city and you will be okay".

But these kinds of questions really are subjective. There is no real answer to them, because everyone is different, and everyone has different experiences. To the person who experiences little to no racism, they will be indifferent to someone's question about it being safe for them because its hard for them to understand someone who has experienced enough racism to have reason to fear.

It is true when one says that there is racism everywhere...someone of your minority mix can tell you they had a good time...but that won't mean you will too.

Its like when people say a hard class is easy. It may be easy for them because they may like the subject.

This one white boy told me how in one KKK town, the only black family there was mistreated because of how they carried themselves, he explained that they were alot like the gangsta blacks you see in rap videos and such. But he said in another town he lived in the only black family there was treated well because they did not act that way. Although I do believe that the other family was mistreated already for being black, I did agree with him that how you act does also contribute.

No one can answer the question simply because everyone is different, and you don't know the kinds of people you will meet.

Some say if you go in expecting trouble, you will find one, and most likely an unnecessary one.

Its mostly important that one goes in with the intent of respecting culture (especially with other countries). What makes people dislike immigrants and tourists is the lack of respect in the customs and ideas of their country. We expect latin immigrants to learn english, just like we are to learn German or Chinese if we visited Germany or China.

Think of it like this: You can't speak for your race...so you really don't want somoeone speaking for you.

0 comments: