BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Thursday, December 10, 2009

Tasers and guns

I used to be staunchly and i mean very staunchly anti guns. But lately in the last few years I have been rethinking my stance.

I don't care if men like to hunt, the only kind animal rights that I really care about is when it comes to dogs, or downright abuse (torture) of any animal. But if someone liked hunting deer or rabbits then all the power to them, its not the kind of thing I personally do not care to do though.

With things like school shootings, it made me really hate guns...i personally felt all guns should be destroyed. Only problem is some people know how to make homemade guns....and almost anything can be used as a weapon.

I really became anti-guns when I found out that my state was lobbying to make it legal to conceal and carry on campus. Its scary having a bunch of people you don't know carrying around guns. What if someone steals it? What if you get angry or have "issues"?

But I have mentioned a thousand times over, the police are practically not there for you anymore....so should one be a sitting duck if they could fight back?

My opinion on guns is changing, not so much because of the police. But because there have been a string of rapes on my campus. One was attempted, culprit got away, and just recently someone else got raped. They have a suspect in questioning right now.

Both suspects in these cases were black, and it made me start questioning how often any black is blamed, but nontheless I couldn't help but feel sick to my stomach. Its monsters like those rapists that give the whole black race a bad name. If black men aren't leaving women while pregnant, they are busy raping innocent women...at least that what it seems like. There are good black men out there and not all should be punished for those actions though.

I have yet to decide about my official views about guns....I am not sure if I am for gun control or fully for guns. Its a distrusting hateful world out there, I'd hate having a gun and go to jail because some other black person did a crime, but at the same time, I'd hate to be a victim of a crime and have no way to defend myself either.

I want a taser, I have always wanted one. Thankfully its legal to have them here, although I don't know the more specific laws about them.

I do have pepperspray, a roommate was kind enough to give me one a few months back.

But I just can't believe in some states its illegal to have tasers. I mean, seriously, how are we supposed to protect ourselves? Yes, its too easy to misuse it and to misinterpret danger (especially when you thrive on stereotypes), but it is also the next best thing to a gun if you don't own one.

I am now more scared about being out at dark than I used to be...I have only realized now that I have been flirting with danger when I would walk from the light rail system to the dorm at 7:00 at night. I now understand my mom's worry and why she preferred me to leave earlier in the day (i now opt to leave monday mornings).

Danger still exists in daylight, but nighttime is scarier nonetheless. I hate that we live in a world that one cannot feel safe in. This is sometimes what makes me hate the city...I certainly don't like where I live and hope to move after graduation someday hopefully.

As much as the liberal/progressive philosophy is, the problem with it is that its way before its time....meaning gun control, or better yet a world with no guns is too ahead as america is too behind. until we can reign in these criminals and curb the crime rates....America has few reasons to put control on guns.

0 comments: