BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Monday, December 14, 2009

So I put it into action

I once made a post about how its stupid to react to some moron's racial insults. Well I had the chance to do it today.

So this white dude is standing a couple of feet away from me, he is talking to his friend who is sitting down and playing with his laptop. I am sitting eating my lunch as I had just finished my final for philosophy.

He loudly tells his friend who is on the lap top to look up "www.whatthefuckblackbitch.com

He then points to me saying, "either she didn't hear me or is ignoring me". So he says it again.

I just shake my head and laugh quietly to myself.

For starters, I had no reason to react, he wasn't saying it directly to me, I only knew he was talking about me because he pointed to me. I mean it did alert me when I heard him say "whatthefuckblackbitch" but I didn't speak up.

I was more curious as to why he wanted to get a rise out of me than I was about the fact that he was being an ignorant dumbass.

Afterwords I started thinking about that blog post I did. I then realized how funny it is that he was in so much need of validation of some sort that he targeted me just based on my race.

I mean race and curse words are like the easy way out of trying to think of an actual insult. I have referred to myself as a bitch before, cause I know I can be bitchy.

It really reinforced how in some situations its best to just ignore someone. Had I responded, I would only confirm the stereotypes he believes in and those nearby probably believe in. He could have easily turned it around on me had I responded, which could have resulted in me getting into trouble.

It is true, sometimes we do need to think before we speak, something that I know is hard for many blacks (especially black girls) to do from my own observations.

Its important for each of us to figure out which battles to take on and which ones not to. I didn't even know this person, and have never seen him before, so why give him the validation he so badly desires to have?

We are a society as a whole that believes if you walk away or ignore someones bad mouthing that makes you a chicken..but as the Back to the Future trilogy showed that sometimes you get yourself into more trouble trying to prove your not, especially to people who really don't matter in the long run. I guess its time we all learn to just walk away. Let people wallow in their own hate.

0 comments: