BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Mulatto Blogging

You'd be surprised at just how many blogs and vlogs there are of by other mulattoes.

Here are some very known ones:

Mulatto Diaries blog and vlog

Losangelista's blog

Heidi Durrow's blog and both her's and Fanshen Cox's (known as Mixed Chicks Chat) podcast

Then there is a Mulatto forum

These are all something I visited in and out before making my blog. As I said before, some of them, I personally did not agree too well with, such as Los Angelista's and Mixed Chicks Chat, and the Mulatto.org forum. But I did find that I liked Tiffany Jone's vlog, although I do disagree with her on some things (which I think is natural).

I found that I too wanted to talk about my experiences and observations. I am not fully committed like the people I listed above, and I have no intention of trying to make a career out of it. This is for me, just a past time, and a chance for others to maybe find someone they can agree with.

What makes these smaller blogs like mine sometimes better than the big blogs like Los Angelista's and Tiffany's vlogs, is that you won't have to engage in so much debate, or deal with so many haters who like to troll around.

When hunting for other biracial experiences online, here are some things to consider when checking out blogs, vlogs and other ways of getting the message out (some of the following suggestions can actually apply to non-mulatto blogs too):

  • What are you looking for? This matters because how much you will like a blog will depend on just exactly what you are looking for. For me personally, I just want to find someone who talks about the mulatto experience but at the same time takes in consideration of black struggles (because we experience that too).
  • Pay attention to the kinds of members associated with that blog. This is important because, the behaviors of the members of the blog can make your or break how you will see the blog. As mentioned in many posts prior about Macon D's blog (he is a white racist who "claims" to be antiracist yet often proves otherwise) the members of his group exhibit trollish behaviors, they are all racist, judgemental and will attack you if you do not agree in the least bit with a post. On top of that, the racist blogger, Macon D, will not allow you to defend yourself or prove his followers wrong when they attack you. It is very biased and hateful there. The more people at a blog, often means the more detiorated the blog may be in terms of behaviors. Also, the longer one member is at a blog in a blog with lots of fans, the more likely the blogger will side with that follower even when in the wrong.
  • In fact, don't let a small amount of people at the blog deter you. Its like how sometimes the generic brand of cereal tastes just the same (or a little different) than the brand name. Just because someone may have little to no fans, doesn't mean they have nothing to say or are unpopular. In fact sometimes its a good thing because you can avoid what I mentioned above. Some people want to commit to blogs or get paid for it, while others prefer to just blog for the hell of it. The amount of followers should have no bearing on the importance of one's message.
  • Don't let the reversal or absence (or no absence) of a parent deter you either. I found alot in common with Tiffany's vlog, but her dad is white, and her mom is black. While my mom is white and my dad is black. Not to mention my dad wasn't in my life ever. While having the races of your parents be in reversal to yours, or one parent being absent or not may naturally cause different experiences for that simple fact alone, don't let it make you leave just on that fact. You never know how similar your experiences may be with them on the sheer fact that you are both mulatto.
  • Ultimately make sure the person blogging, is the race you are looking for. If you are looking for a blog about mulattoes, its best to find one done by mulattoes because lets face it, no other race has jurisdiction to speak about mulattoes other than mulattoes.

0 comments: