BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Thursday, November 26, 2009

What ever happened to the tradition of days off?

One of the things I hate about being an uber politically correct society is that now one has to work on holidays.

Well this is a mix of both religious difference and well, business greed.

I have said before I hate political correctness, mostly because it makes us a much weaker society and hides what people really think. Do I think someone should phrase something in a hateful way if they don't have to? No. One doesn't have to be mean with their message ever.

But anyways, because of different religions and beliefs, people have to work on holidays. My mom had to work for 5 to 6 hours today (she works a minimum wage job). It was more or less a waste of time. She was gonna have to walk too, since the bus near us doesn't run on holidays, but thankfully one of my mom's friends offered her a ride at the last minute.

Whatever happened to the era of closing down shop? I mean so you may not celebrate Christmas or thanksgiving for that matter, but why can't you just buy enough food to get you past that day and just treat it like any other?

It just doesn't seem fair that people have to work on holidays. I mean that should be a relaxing day.

I used to think Christians were whining when they would complain about "Happy Holidays" but having time to think about it, I realized that that is just one of many things you see wrong with the holidays now. I mean television does the "Happy Holidays" stuff while simutaneously airing only Christmas programming.

But I also understand at the same time that there are other religions. But it seems more respectful to just individually wish a good holiday on the specific holiday like they used to do. I remember when I was a kid I'd see "Merry Christmas", "Happy Hanukkah", "Happy Kwanzaa" and the occasional "Feliz Navidad" (the Spanish way of saying Merry Christmas) signs and posters up everywhere.

But now they are all about the shortcut "Happy Holidays".

But what I really miss is no work on Sundays and holidays. I mean yeah is it rooted in Christianity? Yes but at the same time, why work if you don't have to?

Maybe closing down shop is just a small town thing. I don't live in a small town so I have no idea.

I just hate it when people make a case out of everything for the littlest reasons. The last thing I want to do is push Christianity on people who are in the minority due to religious reasons, I mean, cause thats doing exactly what white people do to black people, when it comes to racism.

I just like tradition. And it feels like its disappearing.

0 comments: