BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Sunday, November 15, 2009

A Biracial Journey...

I remember at the Mulatto Mafia group at Facebook, a biracial guy once noting how many biracials exhibit a creative nature.

I like to write poetry. And lately I have made poetry a bigger hobby than I have ever done in the past. It has spawned in me the need, the want to take on some more hobbies. One of those hobbies is a mulatto self discovery adventure.

I am currently reading through Project Gutenberg, The Narrative of William Wells Brown, who was a mulatto slave in the midwest. His story so far has interested me much more than that of Frederick Douglass. Maybe its because William Wells Brown was a midwesterner slave within Missouri and Kentucky, and I happen to live in Missouri and have family in Kentucky. So I feel a bigger connection to him, as he is able to give me insight on my state, my home, stories you won't find in the books or anywhere else really.

Also its interesting to hear about slavery in the Midwest, so often its portrayed as a Southern thing only...maybe this is where southerners these days get their ideas and notions that the midwest is worse than the south. As a midwesterner, I will openly admit that whites are pretty racist here, but the amount of hate groups in my state is no more than what you find in these southern states (who have a few more and those states are smaller than mine on top of that). Both have a dirty equated history.

But reading this, and writing poetry has caused me to get interested in the self discovery of being mulatto.

Or maybe its the fact that my history professor uses the word mulatto (he is white). I can't help but giggle because he is the first person to ever use that word, I would get lectured if I dared used a word that accurately describes me as being half white and black.

I am interested in reading about the experiences of other biracials, especially their childhood. I come from a family that could never understand, not even my mulatto sister.

But I am a very severely depressed person...and maybe what I need is to formulate a strong identity. Maybe the best way to start that is to become interested in what I am.

1 comments:

Biracial Christian Girl said...

I understand that too. I began my biracial self discovery about 6-7 years ago. My brother somehow didn't understand it and thought it was ignorant. they didn't think it mattered. I think some of it for them was a bit of denial though.

by the way don't let yourself get too depressed! "Do not let your heart be troubled" John 14 :)