BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Thursday, September 3, 2009

Which one is it?

So I was bored and decided to go over to Youtube. Somehow I went from listening to Alicia Keys to watching a video where a black dude kept saying over and over that biracial people are black.

He was talking about how biracial people often do not want to be associated with their black side. He stated that, biracials are messed up for relating to their white side. Proclaiming that, biracials use it as an excuse to not embrace being black.

Normally I would shrug this kind of video off, as just some disgruntled dude, needing to vent, considering his video was mostly a response to some hater comments by a biracial person. But I could not help but pay attention to this video, not just because of some of the inaccuracies and accuracies he mentioned, but because I had seen another one of his videos months earlier in which he stated biracial people are NOT black.

But there are just so many things wrong with his video(s), yet some things that are correct.

He was correct in the fact that, we as biracials, should not act as if we are better than blacks. One thing he was correct about was the fact that to white people we are just as black. Just last night, when I was talking about my family and politics, a girl told me that its uncommon for black people to vote Republican (I am not Republican, but my family is). I then had to tell her that I am biracial, and my mom and her family, are white.

That is why I stated in a different post, "biracial" is pretty much a title right now.

But one thing that irked me the most in his vlog was that he said that acting white meant we were trying to appease to white people and deny our blackness.

I was raised in white culture, i like things made by whites and blacks. I hate hip hop and rap, but I love R&B, Disco, Funk, etc. I love pop, rock, classical, new age, but i despise country and heavy metal.

The man who does these videos has the tendency to rag on light skinned blacks and biracials.

What probably annoyed me the most was the uneducated and hateful comments, more than the video itself.

I noticed a conundrum in the comments. Often biracial people are told they are not "black enough". One person in the comments stated exactly what was on my mind.

When a biracial person self identifies as black, they are questioned for being black enough. Yet, when they identify as biracial, they are questioned for possibly denouncing being half black.

So like someone said, about the video maker's contradicting videos, Which one is it???

3 comments:

Biracial Christian Girl said...

I think i know who you are talking about. It's Jaylove's videos aren't they?

myperspective08 said...

lol, yep its his videos....

Biracial Christian Girl said...

He's a character.lol