BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Tuesday, September 15, 2009

A Revolving Feeling.

America's racial system is far different from others (such as Brazil and South Africa). America has what I call, a "simplified" way of looking at race. It is not a fair or nice system, it is just a simplified way of looking at race.

In other words, the system looks at you based on the outer appearance, and that is how you will be treated.

So, being biracial, sometimes I feel like a black person. I am seen as black in society, and have dealt with racism just like many other blacks. But sometimes I feel like I hit a rough patch. Culturally I feel like I relate more with my white side, yet racially I relate better with my black side. Which I am sure I am not the only one out there like that...but sometimes, whenever black people talk about the going ons of the black race, sometimes I feel like I am not included.

Its hard to know when you are considered part of the problem in the conversations whites and blacks have about race. Some have outwardly said they hate mixed people and get into a whole list on that.

Some have said, they are okay with mixed people but not black people. I guess what I am saying is, when you are biracial, you are sometimes the exception to the rule, and other times, you are apart of the rule and not the exception.

Sometimes when I read blogs or articles pertaining to black people, I ask myself that question, am I included or not? I ask it not only as a biracial girl, but a "light skinned black girl", as there seems to be a rift in the community over who has it easier or better....

What I am trying to say is that, when can I or can't I relate to something? Its a revolving feeling. I can relate, yet I am not supposed to. Sometimes, I am supposed to relate, but am unable to. Some people want you to relate, and others do not want you to relate.

It can be a confusing feeling...most people think the confusion biracial people go through is "picking sides", or not being accepted by either or both sides....but for most people, that gets resolved, but the confusion that probably never goes away, is the question of Can I or am I supposed to relate?

2 comments:

Biracial Christian Girl said...

Do you ever consider that the racism you face is not because you're having a black experience , but maybe because you are having a biracial experience? Many times throughout my life I have felt that even though blacks and biracials face racism the experiences are different and for different reasons. As a biracial person you face double racism at times: sometimes from blacks, and sometimes from whites. There are also times when whites give the mixed person an extra dose of racism than the black person.At least their parents didn't mix. The racism that you get from whites isn't because "you're black", it's actually because you're mixed race. I live down South in Arkansas and there were times where I literally saw how the whites that were racist did not seem bothered by the all black families in the neighborhood but showed utter contempt for my mixed race family. We represented something they extremely hated: the mixing of races. the fact that we were half black yet also apart of their race was a shame to them.The fact that we also saw ourselves as much white as black burned people like that up. It's a really deep thing. One of my brothers is more white looking and actually received more racism from the white people who were racist than my slightly darker brother. All in all I believe that anyone black or white can not ever truly relate to the biracial experience.

myperspective08 said...

i am sure some of the racism i get from whites can be because i am mixed, but when people do not know about my mom, they will assume i am black, and will treat me like a black person, only few ever suspect i am mixed, and usually those few who suspect it are either biracial or black.

so that is why i sometimes say i have a black experience, because i am mistaken for black. and some people, even after knowing you are mixed, will still look at you as a black person.

so that is why i say i have both a black and biracial experience.