BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Do you believe we are black first, biracial second?

There was an article about Obama and how he self identifies as a black man. Many white people refused to respect Obama's wishes. There was a comment that really made a great point.

The author of the comment, talked about how, calling Obama biracial, actually takes him down a peg. She stated that up until Obama, you were black, no one cared to call you biracial. She then proceeded to mention that people are only calling Obama biracial for two reasons, 1. is to throw political correctness in his face, as a way of getting revenge on the whole PC thing. and 2. because it makes many white people feel better about a black man being in office. She then stated that, if Obama is unsuccessful, he will be seen by blacks as biracial, and whites will see him as black. The author of the comment then said something that sounded very good. She stated that biracial people are "black first, and biracial second". She stated, one only becomes biracial to others when those people see fit.

The comment made perfect sense to me. To society, I am black. Biracial, is only considered a personal title in the US, right now. There are some people, who know I am biracial, and see me as biracial. But to most, I am black. When people meet me, they FIRST assume I am black, and after finding out I am biracial, will sometimes SECONDLY say I am biracial.

But essentially most people, even after finding out that I am biracial, treat me like a black person.

I think about history. There were some successful biracial people. They too were black first. And it makes sense you know? Because, being biracial really meant nothing to society, when the black race couldn't even get equal rights.

But I have seen the whole "biracial when one sees fit" all to much. Its one thing for the biracial person to interchange between black and biracial...but its pretty annoying when people in society see you as black one minute, then you do good, and now you are biracial.

I think that is the reason Obama said he identifies as black, because he felt it was wrong how people want to attribute good to "biracial", because that somehow means being half white "saved" him....that and he also probably identified as black for the political advantages (which I seriously don't blame him for doing, I mean, one should take advantage of their opportunities, and in this case, their race).

But, even though I am biracial, I am also black. The society we live in, treats you based on race...some individuals may treat you based on your title, and not your race...but very few.

I just feel its a major insult to assume that somehow being half white saves you. I get insulted by the word nigger just like I do by the word mongrel. A boy once told me, that I am okay because I am half white. I hope to God he was joking when he said that. But one of his good friends, happened to be a racist who hates black people.

You can't help but wonder if some biracial people, simply state they are black, not because of some connection they feel with their black side, but because they are making a statement, that being biracial does not somehow make you better than black people.

We are still a society that likes to claim one someone else's achievements. How many times have you heard the white person who listed all the achievements made by white people, and act as if he had something to do with it?

In the end, we are not just black first because of how we are seen in society to people who do not know we are mixed, but because we are fighting the same battles as black people, and the only way biracial people can get their rights as their own race, is by first getting rights for blacks in general. Will blacks care for our cause later on? No. But do we benefit from helping their cause? Yes, simply because we are just as affected as they are.

0 comments: