BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Obama-baby???

Ugh, I hate seeing words like "Obamanation", and words like "post-racial society". They both sound idiotic. I just recently came across the word "Obama-baby". Seeing that took me back to a conversation I was having with a black woman once. She asked who I voted for, and I said "independent". 2008, was my first election. I honestly did not know who to vote for...and I remember how I started to understand why my mom has never voted and doesn't care to ever vote either. I decided to go with an independent, simply because I was too scared with the question "What if the person I voted for, turns out to be very horrible??" I remember, it was a tough choice between Obama and McCain for me, I truly despise Sarah Palin, and was almost going to vote Republican (something not in my nature to do), until Palin was announced, her behavior was sickening to me. Anyways, after telling her my story, she was surprised I did not vote for Obama.

Next thing I know, I am being called an "Obama-baby", an obvious reference to the fact that Obama is biracial (or as he sometimes puts it, "black with a white mom").

I have been put off by all the nicknames, and abbreviations, I have found people using during the 2008 election and Obama's presidency. People complain about teens speaking/typing in IM, yet these same adults turn around and talk in abbreviations themselves....

But I really do not like the term "obama-baby". At the time I was called that, I just stared and gave a nervous laugh, im not a confrontational person, but I was definiately uncomfortable. And as I see the word again, I am once again disgusted.

For starters, I hate the term, as I was born BEFORE his election. And on top of that, I just don't like the idea of the President's name being inserted into some word, and then directed at me. I just do not like the hype. Am I biracial? Yes. Did Obama have anything to do with it? NO!

I am so tired of all these "political words". I am tired of hearing all the paranoia, conservatives and liberals have to offer. In fact, I hate politics in general. I have no problem admitting that politics is not the most important thing in my life (seriously, people get offended when you dare say there are more important things in your life than politics).

0 comments: