BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Is saying one is "biracial", trying to denounce being black?

I got a comment (that I have yet to decide what I want to do with), on one of my posts. Essentially, I upset the commenter, because I stated that black people are not biracial.

She then brought up the topic, and directed me to someone's post about it. She pretty much stated that we are denouncing our blackness, because of the stigmas that come with being black in America (if not the world).

I have read many comments on Youtube videos, on other peoples blogs, by black people, who feel that by saying you are biracial, you are therefore denouncing your black side.

Is this true? for some, it really is true. There are negative stigmas that come with being black, people don't hate the race, they hate the rules...so when some see their chance out (such as being light enough to pass), they take it. Others though, claim themselves as black even if they are biracial, for their own personal reasons. And some do not see themselves as black at all, and prefer to embrace both sides.

The commenter pretty much was saying that blacks are mixed. We all know about the rapes in slavery...but the thing I keep saying is that there is a difference between directly mixed and indirectly mixed. Are there blacks who are lighter than me, who are not directly mixed? yes.

Naturally, one will see someone who claims themselves as biracial instead of black, as someone who hates blacks, when they have a skewered perception as to what is black and what is biracial.

Many biracials in history and even today, have been right along side many blacks fighting battles for equality.

Its not that biracials hate being black, its just that some want to be seen as what they are accurately (aka Politically correct) way.

When you are like me, and you are raised ONLY by your white mom, and her side of the family, you do not get much black influence in your life. I was raised in white culture, and my family have some racist views about blacks (most of it being generalizations they had about all blacks), and it left an impression on me...it made me hate black people too. Eventually I grew out of that. Do I like black people who like the gangsta/ghetto image? No I do not. But that does not mean I hate the black race. I sometimes consider myself black, depending on the situation and/or mood.

But sometimes I also consider myself biracial.

Biracial, is someone who is of 2 races. Multiracial, is someone of 2 or more races. When people talk about biracial people, no one is referring to some slave and slave master from hundreds of years ago.

When I say I am biracial, I am not denouncing my black side. Many (if not most), biracials are raised by their white side, therefore we are often not seen as "black enough"...yet we are chided for saying we are biracial. Most blacks have not, at least to my face, given me problems over it. They would ask if I were biracial, just like the other biracial kids, and I would reply yes, and they would shake their heads, as if that explained everything.

Maybe many of us biracials do not feel black in some ways. I feel like I can relate to blacks when it comes to racial matters, but other than that, I feel as though I cannot relate to blacks. I crush on white guys and asian guys and other mixed guys, more than I do black guys. I was raised only by the white side of my family, so its kind of hard at times to remember you are black too.

Society is changing...we went from where blatant racism was socially acceptable, to where closeted racism is only socially acceptable, there is still more to go before American society truly does begin to live up to its word.

While some biracials denounce their black side and hate their black side...some do not, they just simply also want people to see their white side...their whiteness may not appear physically (or mentally or culturally), but it may appear in their parent or family, and when you want people to know things about you, you want them to know the right things.

I often let people make their own assumptions about me and my race. Sometimes I will off-handedly mention I am biracial. Sometimes I will correct someone when they say something about my race...and sometimes I won't. Me being biracial, does not mean I will be seen any different from black people. Biracial people are hated just as much, if not more, by racists and supremacists.

2 comments:

Biracial Christian Girl said...

That gets me too. I hate when black say " We are all mixed" , so in some way they can make themselves feel better. I have a question for you. Have you ever had anyone black stare you down when you are with your mom, as if you shouldn't be spending time with her because she is white? I have had that happen to me several times.

myperspective08 said...

yeah, black people tend to give me that stare at times...i kinda just ignore it. as long as they just stare and do nothing else, i dont care much for them or what they think.