BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Diverse?

This doesn't so much have to do with being biracial, but more of a racial thing as a whole.

If you look at college campus websites they often boast about being "diverse". I walk around my college campus, and very rarely I will see a white person and a black person speak to each other as if they were actually friends.

I see mostly white, black, and asian. I do see some Indian and Mexican, but not as much. But it seems like everyone sticks with their own.

I have been observing in my history class something weird. I notice quite often when a white person walks in, they often head to the back of the lecture hall, and will sit over there even if its cramped, simply because mostly whites sit there. They often seem more hesitant about sitting with blacks. Even if the area a black person is sitting at has a lot of space, most whites prefer to sit in the more cramped white area in the back. Black people on the other hand, usually do not care where they sit, as long as they get a seat, they will sit by whites, even if the white person doesn't want them there.

My city is one of those cities that is very self segregated and racist. So its really no surprise.

I do not really fit in anywhere at my school. I just do my own thing by myself. Most people in this school came in with "prepackaged" friendships, meaning they brought along their high school friendships and etc and have no care to make new friends.

But its weird, my school boasts being the most diverse campus in the state, yet oddly enough, there is little to no diversity.

It seems like colleges have a different idea of what is "diverse". We all know colleges will say anything to get students. They will boast about some achievement from a decade ago, if they know it will make them look better. And colleges also have the tendency to leave things out, and of course they will say its not their fault, and will say, its yours for assuming something in the first place.

So naturally a college campus will boast about diversity, especially when even though the campus is mostly white, there is a good number of blacks, asians and other groups there too. Colleges stick with the general idea of diversity. When you hear "diverse", you think different cultures and races in one place. But what "diverse" really means is you see different races and/or cultures intermingling with each other.

Its sad to say that my high school was more diverse than this college and whats even sadder, is the fact that this college probably is the most "diverse" of all the colleges in this state.

0 comments: