BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

The Street crossing routine

The street crossing routine is when a white person and a black person are walking on the same side walk, both going in opposite directions. The white person will cross the street when they see the black person regardless of how the black person looks.

Sure there are situations when the white person really does have to cross the street. And then there are times when the white person may not cross the street as they may not perceive you as a threat (or they may feel they could take you).

Most of the time this typically happens when you are either a black male, or are in a group of black people.

If a person really wanted to rob you or beat you, all they would have to do is cross the street and follow you.

I personally get freaked out more by those behind me rather than in front.

I remember when I was 16 (or 15 I forget), I was walking to our school's annual Orange and Black day which happens in the first week of school. There was this white dude with a beard who was walking behind me for God knows how long, and it freaked the hell out of me. That kind of thing scared me so much that I called my mom and asked her to pick me up when I was ready to leave the event.

Sure my fear probably hinged on a stereotype too, it was the fear of me being a young girl and him being a man.

0 comments: