BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Mr. Mrs. Ms.

3 prefixes to a name most of us today wouldn't give much thought to.

I have read stories where a black person from the 60s would have this undescrible look on their face when a white would say something rare such as "Mr." "Mrs." or "Miss" (and "thank you" also).

I cringe at being called "Miss", considering I am only 20, it makes me feel as if I am old. I remember when I was shadowing a teacher, I was basically forced to be called "Miss [insert]" because that is the only way to get students to respect you.

Back then, blacks were called by their first name (or some half cocked nickname) because whites did not want to give blacks any respect. Saying "Mr. Mrs. or Miss" is a sign of respect.

Sometimes when I hear a white refer to Obama as "Barry", I can't help but get that feeling of disrespect.

I think I would have wanted to be called "Miss" back then, since it meant something. But today...it just makes me feel old.

0 comments: