BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Sunday, August 9, 2009

The Difference Between Self Identity vs Self Hatred?

I feel its best to get this stance out there now.

I self identify both as a biracial girl and a black girl. I believe that one should take the opportunities they can get in life. There are always going to be people guilting you out of them, but only you know your situation.

Many people seem to get self identity and self hatred mixed up.

Self identity is based on identifying yourself with what you feel you can relate to. Barack Obama and Halle Berry identify as black people, sometimes interchanging it with biracial people. I said in the previous post, how you grew up often reflects how you self identify.

With self identity, one does not hate being mixed or hate either side. They are simply trying to connect.

Most mixed people are considered and treated like black people (who are mistreated in American society). It is due to this that they find themselves relating to the black race and identifying that way.

Also very rarely do they have "2 or more races" option, and "other" is not an option, other implies one does not matter.

Obama and Halle have never been afraid to say they have white moms. I have never had a problem saying my mom is white.

I am the same around everyone. I do not change my personality. I am geeky and girly and dorky. People either love me or hate me.

There are 4 ways one can self identify. They can strictly choose white, stritcly choose black, strictly choose biracial, or they can say they are all 4 or at least 2 of 4.

Self hatred on the otherhand is when a biracial person denies one of their heritage. They hate being half of what they are, or both of what they are. Often this is brought on by a painful biracial experience, most outgrow the pain, but some do not or cannot.

When a person self hates, they will not admit to being half of whatever race, they will hide it, some have bleached their skin. Some have disowned their families. Some believe procreating wtih a specific race will "wipe" the race they hate right out of them.

Often people that do not understand what being mixed is about, assume that self hatred and self identity is the same thing, the reality is, they are not.

0 comments: