BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Its like a tan...

I have been told by at least 2 (if not more) white girls that I am lucky for my skin color.

Some say blacks bleach to achieve it, and whites tan to achieve it. I say they are all wrong. My skin is a tone is darker than a tan. Yet this doesn't stop white girls from commenting that somehow I am "lucky".

I never understood the tanning phenomenon. I can understand the bleaching phenom, but not the tanning. I can see those who are pasty wanting to tan, but why do white girls who are not pasty wanting to tan???

I one time asked this and a white girl told me that I was lucky because my skin was brown and was the "right shade"...And just less than 30 mins ago, I was told by a white girl who doesn't tan that my skin color is the "right shade".

I have seen people tan enough that would make one think they are mixed or mexican or something, but my tone is a little bit darker than tans...so it eludes me.

I hate it when people say they are the same thing. I, myself can tan, but I do not like it when people people say my skin color is the "right shade". Right shade for what? Its darker than a tan, and a little bit lighter than the shade those who bleach themselves are trying to achieve....

My skincolor is yellowish brown, reddish brown, and on a very pale day a white-ish brown. Nowhere close to a tan.

4 comments:

Catherine. said...

Haha, this post reminded me of when I first moved to NY in March and all the white girls at my new job kept telling me I was going to "lose my tan" living in NY. I love explaining this is a year round color, ha. As far as I'm concerned, it's the right shade for me, and that's what matters.

Biracial Christian Girl said...

I finally figured out how to fix my comment box so don't worry about answering. By the way as always you have some interesting reads!

Biracial Christian Girl said...

are you biracial too catherine?

Catherine. said...

yeah, my mom is irish/german and my dad is light skinned black.