BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Bill Cosby does have a point...

A couple of years ago Bill Cosby came under fire in the black community for a speech he gave criticizing the current state of "black culture", specifically the youth and their gangsta image.

Some people criticized what Cosby said saying that he wasn't figuring in the social aspects and that he was speaking from the point of view of an elitist.

I have to say that both sides are right.

I am strongly against the gangsta culture. I hate rap, I hate the dress styles, and I despise ebonics.

I also don't like the gangsta view of education either.

Black peoples insistence on not trying to be like white people is exactly what makes white people hate us even more...our race is giving them more ammo to make excuses to justify their racism.

But I do agree that you can't completely ignore social aspects. I mean black people can be the exact mirror image of white people and still suffer racism from businesses and cops and etc.

Yet, at the same time, we don't need to be encouraging the gangsta lifestyle any more than we have been.

I mean the way things have been have obviously done nothing for us.

I guess the thing is is that black culture seemed to be more honest and better during the 1950s...which is sad to say considering the time period.

0 comments: